Friday, November 16, 2007

more photos... but i can't show you

As promised I took more photos today... but I can't show you because I'm staying at my cousin Anna's new condo in Brooklyn and the borrowed wireless internet from the high school across the street is way too slow and intermitent to allow for photo uploads.

So today I woke up in the empty old apartment at around 8 and then promptly went back to sleep - because I could! Unfortunately the second time I woke up was because I was having a terrible dream where all my teeth were falling out. (Ever have one of those? Terrifying!). After shaking that off I proceeded with my plan of Starbucks, Central Park, museum. I only made it to one museum and it was a doozy - the Metropolitan Museum of Art, otherwise known as the Met.

I thought I would just check out the lobby and museum shop - and I thought I would stick to that decision when I saw that admission was $20. But then I caught a glimpse of a huge greek (i think) column behind an open hall of marble statues and I knew that I couldn't pass on the Met. (Upon getting to the ticket booth guy I learned that the admission price was a SUGGESTED amount (it was in the small print that I couldn't see from a distance) but I already had a twenty out and said fine. I later found out that nobody pays $20. I really need to pick up my new glasses).

I did a whirlwind tour of almost the entire place. It's huge. It's inspiring. It's overwhelming. I employed the same philosophy as when I hit the Paris museum circuit: don't know when I'm coming back, try to take it all in. After about 3 hours of it my feet and my brain had enough. Some highlights included the egyptian temple, the Crossing of the Delaware painting, the 'Eternal Ancestors' central African artifact special exhibition, and the baroque tapestries.

Well, hopefully I'll get a better internet connection later this weekend and I can share these photos. My working weekend begins tomorrow with a session with little Juliet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home